Had this issue tonight where a Windows 2008 R2 server could not logon after being removed from the domain. Not sure if this was due to a recent update as we have had lots of issues with that in the last week. I thought it would be good to share the fix I found to help others.
- Booting into safe mode would not let you logon, the only option that worked was safe mode with command prompt.
- I had tried running SFC /scannow and it didn’t not find anything to fix.
- Tried forcing classic mode logon by enabling that in local security policy (found that fix on Citrix forums) but it has a dependancy on the Desktop experience role/feature.
- Boot the server into safe mode with command prompt
- Open group policy editor (run gpedit.msc)double click under “Computer Configuration”/”Windows Settings”/”Security Settings”/”Local Policies”/”Security Options” the Policy “Interactive Logon: Do not Display last user Name”
select the Option “Enabled”.
Start – Run – gpupdate
- Reboot the server
- you should now be able to logon.
And a big thank you to Enrique Soto as he was there for moral support and keeping me awake!